Optimum Care Salon Collection relaxer system featuring Professional Strength-Building treatments that help reduce breakage after 1 use for strong and healthy-looking hair, to achieve salon-beautiful results at home.
THE KIT CONTAINS:
- Protective Pre-Treatment 1
- Conditioning Relaxer Crème 2
- Activator 3
- Neutralizing Shampoo 4
- Reconstructor Treatment 5
- Leave-In Strengthener 6
- Strength-Building Treatment
- Wooden Spatula
- Instruction Sheet
- Plastic Gloves
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE:
- A wide-toothed comb (Don’t use metal combs)
- A towel or cape
- A clock or a timer
- Petroleum jelly (for use on hairline, nape of neck and ear area only)
- SAFETY WARNINGS
This product may not be suitable for all hair types; a strand test must be performed prior to application.
When you should not relax your hair:
- Not suitable for use on children.
- If you have a sensitive, irritated or damaged scalp.
- If hair has been bleached or highlighted, processed with a thio (perm) product such as thioglycolate, thiolactate, cysteine, cysteamine, sulfite or treated with henna or metallic salts. Hair loss or breakage could occur.
- If hair is fragile, breaking, splitting or otherwise damaged; for example, due to frequent coloring or other chemical processes.
- If you have applied permanent or demi-permanent haircolor in the 2 weeks before relaxing.
- If hot combs or other heat appliances have been used on your hair before the relaxer process.
- If your hair has been wet or shampooed in the 3 days prior to relaxing.
- If your hair has been braided or extensions have been put in during the 2 weeks before relaxing.
- If braids or extensions have just been removed. Deep condition and wait 2 weeks before relaxing.
- If scalp has been scratched with a comb, brush or fingernails in the 3 days prior to relaxing.
- If you have used an anti-dandruff product in the 2 weeks prior to relaxing hair.
- If the strand test results in hair breakage or scalp irritation, do not relax hair.
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE RELAXING YOUR HAIR
- Keep out of reach of children.
- This product may not be suitable for all hair types; a strand test must be performed prior to application.
- Read and follow directions and warnings completely. Failure to follow directions and warnings, and other misuse of the product, can cause serious injury to eyes or skin and can damage hair or result in permanent hair loss.
- Keep relaxer off scalp and other skin areas. Contact with scalp or other skin areas can cause serious skin irritations or burns.
- In case of contact with skin, rinse immediately.
- If irritation occurs during relaxing, immediately rinse thoroughly and use the Neutralizing Shampoo provided in the kit. If irritation persists, consult a doctor.
- Avoid contact with eyes. Can cause blindness.
- In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately and thoroughly with water and consult a doctor.
- If ingested, contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Do not induce vomiting and consult a doctor immediately.
- Wear gloves provided in the kit when using and rinsing this product.
- Do not use Relaxer Creme or Activator alone. This product must be used as a mixture with Relaxer Creme and Activator in the proportions indicated in this insert. Thorough mixing is important for best results.
- Contains alkali.
- Do not apply on eyelashes or eyebrows. This product may cause severe eye irritation and permanent damage (blindness). Do not apply to facial or body hair. Irritation may occur.
- Do not use in combination with any products other than those provided or recommended in this kit.
- Use the strength of Optimum Care relaxer suited to your hair.
- If hair has been relaxed previously, apply product to new growth only. Application of product to previously relaxed hair can cause hair breakage.
- Wait at least 2 weeks before applying permanent haircolor.
- Do not use any metallic materials for mixing or applying relaxer.
- Do not use hot combs or other heat appliances during the relaxer process.
- Do not use anti-dandruff products for 2 weeks after relaxing hair.
- NEVER STORE RELAXER CREME THAT HAS BEEN MIXED WITH ACTIVATOR. With gloves on, discard unused mixture by rinsing thoroughly down the drain. Rinse tub and spatula thoroughly and discard in trash.
FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY.
- STRAND TEST
Following the application directions, test the mixture on one hair strand before relaxing all the hair. In case of hair breakage or scalp irritation after the test, do not use this product or any other relaxer. Because timing and precision application is imperative to avoid hair loss, hair breakage and/or scalp injury, it is recommended that you not apply the relaxer yourself. Ask another person to assist you. Always do a Strand Test before relaxing, even if you have relaxed before. The Strand Test determines how long it will take to straighten the hair. Prior to application, it is recommended that you apply petroleum jelly on hairline, nape of neck and ear area only.
- To create relaxer mixture, follow mixing instructions. (see How To Mix section)
- Wear the gloves and keep them on throughout the relaxing process. Isolate a small section of hair close to the neck. Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to scalp area of test section. Apply relaxer mixture evenly on unrelaxed portion of test section (if hair has been previously relaxed, apply to new growth only) without touching scalp. Set timer for your hair type (see Time Chart).
- Check texture and straightness of your hair frequently while waiting.
- If they are satisfactory before recommended processing time is up, end the test. Record time in Time Chart above and use as your processing time.
- Otherwise, use the time recommended in Time Chart. Never exceed the maximum processing time indicated in the Time Chart.
- When time is up (or earlier if desired texture and straightness is achieved before time is up), rinse relaxer mixture from the test section with warm water and shampoo with Neutralizing Shampoo. Allow test area to dry. Check for irritation or hair breakage. In case of irritation, immediately rinse and wash area with Neutralizing Shampoo. If breakage or irritation occurs, do not use this product or any other relaxer.
- HOW TO MIX
FULL HEAD APPLICATION ON VIRGIN HAIR
MIXING FULL CONTENTS
Wear protective gloves provided in kit throughout the relaxing process, including the rinsing and shampoo steps.
- Pour entire contents of Activator  bottle into Relaxer Crème  jar. Activator and Relaxer Crème must be used as a mixture in the correct proportions.
- Mix well with wooden spatula until color is uniform with no streaks. This uniform color indicates that the relaxer crème is properly activated and relaxer mixture is ready to use. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes prior to use. THROW AWAY ANY UNUSED RELAXER MIXTURE.
RETOUCHING NEW GROWTH
MIXING HALF CONTENTS
Wear protective gloves provided in the kit throughout the relaxing process as well as when rinsing and shampooing after relaxing.
- Remove half of the amount of Relaxer Crème and set aside in a separate mixing container. DO NOT USE A METAL CONTAINER.
- Pour half contents of Activator bottle into the mixing container you have set aside. Activator and Relaxer Crème must be used as a mixture in the correct proportions.
- Mix well with wooden spatula until color is uniform with no streaks. This uniform color indicates that the Relaxer Crème is properly activated and relaxer mixture is ready to use. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes prior to use.
SAVE THE UNMIXED HALF OF THE RELAXER CREME AND THE REMAINING ACTIVATOR FOR NEXT RETOUCH IN A SAFE PLACE, OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
- HOW TO APPLY
Before you use, you must mix Relaxer Crème with Activator (see How to Mix section). Do not brush, comb or rub scalp rigorously before using this product.
STEP 1: APPLY PROTECTIVE PRE-TREATMENT
Part hair into four sections: down the middle from front to back, then from ear to ear. With gloves on, apply petroleum jelly to hairline, nape of neck and ear area only. Distribute Pre-Treatment throughout previously relaxed hair. This step reduces the possibility of damage to previously relaxed hair. Avoid scratching scalp.
DO NOT RINSE PRE-TREATMENT OUT OF HAIR.
STEP 2: APPLY THE RELAXER MIXTURE
Apply relaxer mixture to scalp per the directions below without touching scalp. If the hair has already been relaxed, apply to new growth only. Use a clock or a timer. Follow the processing times. The application time should be counted in the total processing time.
NEVER LEAVE THE RELAXER MIXTURE ON HAIR LONGER THAN THE MAXIMUM PROCESSING TIME INDICATED IN THE STRAND TEST. NEVER EXCEED THE MAXIMUM PROCESSING TIME INDICATED IN THE TIME CHART.
FULL HEAD APPLICATION ON VIRGIN HAIR
Make narrow partings of 1/4 inch. Complete each section, working from crown, where hair is usually more resistant, towards hairline. With gloves on, starting in the neck area, spread generous amounts of the relaxer mixture evenly down the entire hair shaft, section by section starting close to the scalp. Apply relaxer mixture near hairline and edge area last. Avoid applying relaxer to scalp. Do not pull hair during application.
RETOUCHING NEW GROWTH
Make narrow partings of 1/4 inch. Complete each section working from crown, where hair is usually more resistant, towards hairline. With gloves on, starting in the neck area, apply generous amounts of the relaxer mixture to all new growth only, section by section, starting close to the scalp. Avoid overlapping relaxer onto previously relaxed hair. Application of product to previously relaxed hair can cause hair breakage. Avoid applying relaxer to scalp. Do not pull hair during application.
THROW AWAY ANY UNUSED RELAXER MIXTURE.
STEP 3: SMOOTH
Use the back of a wide-toothed comb to smooth and spread relaxer mixture through unrelaxed hair or new growth. Do not comb or pull hair. Continue to smooth relaxer mixture through hair, paying close attention not to exceed the maximum recommended processing time for your hair type.
STEP 4: RINSE
With gloves on, rinse thoroughly with warm water until the product is completely rinsed out. It’s much easier to shampoo properly if relaxer mixture is totally rinsed out of hair first. Make sure that the rinsing water does not come into contact with eyes.
STEP 5: SHAMPOO
With gloves on, apply the shampoo with Neutralizing Shampoo, provided in the kit and rinse well. You must shampoo and rinse thoroughly at least twice to eliminate all traces of relaxer mixture. Pay close attention to scalp, skin and hair. Pink lather indicates relaxer mixture residue is still in the hair, which, if not removed, may result in damage from overprocessing. Note: If using only half-contents of Relaxer Crème, save half of Neutralizing Shampoo in bottle for next retouch application.
STEP 6: CONDITION & STYLE
Towel blot hair and distribute Reconstructor Treatment throughout hair. Leave in for 5 minutes then rinse. Towel blot. Now distribute Leave-In Strengthener evenly through hair. Do not rinse. Proceed with styling.
Use the Strength Building Treatment to help seal in strength between relaxer touch-ups. Directions: Apply on clean towel-dried hair. DO NOT RINSE OUT. Comb through with a wide-toothed comb for even distribution. Style as usual.
- TIME CHART